Here are some of the tips and tricks I’ve picked up over the years:
2. Bring a spare car key.
3. Bring a good diverse mixture of music, podcasts and audiobooks (Hoopla is great for this).
4. Between listening to your audio choices, play car games (interviewing each other is our favorite!).
5. Bring good snacks. Not just candy–that tends to just make one drowsy. Crunchy snacks like chips, pretzels and veggies are preferred in our car. I’m also a big fan of gum and Hot Tamales.
6. Coffee. And water. Lots of water.
7. Make your pit stops count. Fill up the car AND use the restroom AND get your meal AND coffee all at once. Side note: we try to bring our own lunches as much as possible to save money.
8. Switch off drivers every couple of hours to not get tired.
9. Make sure you have emergency necessities: blanket, jumper cables, tire changing tools, flashlight, etc.
10. Carry cash for tolls. We learned this the hard way. Twice.
11. Take pictures to remember the fun.
What are some of your road trip necessities?